Sunday, September 21, 2008

Nail Salons

16 Sep 2008

While riding on the bus to the airport, my husband said, "I'll have to get my nails done." He was not serious, but the remark was prompted by all the nail salons he was noticing along our route. I educated him to the fact that many women have their hair done every week and their nails done every couple of weeks or so. I do get my hair cut about once every three months, but I've never had a manicure or pedicure. However I know women who consider the services of a nail salon and a hair dresser essential to their well-being. And they're often women who don't appear to have a lot of money and who seem to struggle to make ends meet.

That led to a discussion of luxury goods and services. I've noticed that since the economic down-turn, places like beauty spas are suddenly offering specials. Marginal businesses are closing. This will hurt a lot of people in the short term, but maybe it's time we re-evaluate and figure out what's really essential for a good life: simple shelter and clothing, healthy food, exercise, love, freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home