Monday, May 12, 2008

L.A. Without a Car: Day Eight

After breakfast, I packed up, checked out and left my backpack at the hotel desk. Amazingly, the carnival in the park near Olvera Street was totally gone!

I took a Dash bus into central L.A. and walked around. The Macy center is a big indoor shopping mall, anchored by a Hyatt Hotel and Macy's Department store. The library was my next destination. As I'd hoped there were many 1920s interior murals and painted ceilings; the new additionis also architecturally dramatic. An exhibit of the kinds of items in Special Collections, included menus and fruit crate labels, as well as the more usual rare books, maps and old photos. Of course there was a big collection of Hollywood material: posters, stills, ads.

Having passed Wolfgang Puck's L.A. Bistro, I returned for lunch. It was not especially expensive and very tasty.

One more ride on Dash with a brief stop in Little Tokyo and another in Chinatown, just to say I'd been there. Then back to the hotel to pick up my bag, and on to Union Station for relaxing wait.The Megabus for San Jose and San Francisco left promptly at 4:00 pm. Again, it was only about one third full, mostly male college students. I was probably the oldest passenger and one of the few females. The ride was uneventful, and even with a half-hour break mid-way, we arrived in San Jose at 10:00 pm, about a half-hour early. I'd been able to phone Don and he picked me up. So I ended my journey by car, not by public transportation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home